A dessert pizza with a fruit component is a great option, as the fruit can be easily changed to produce a new concoction.
Apple Cinnamon Dessert Pizza (source)
Pizza Crust :
1 cup warm water
1 tablespoon instant yeast
¼ cup sugar
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 – 4 cups all purpose flour
Cinnamon Streusel Topping:
½ cup packed light brown sugar
½ cup all purpose flour
¾ teaspoon cinnamon
4 tablespoons butter, softened
1 tablespoon butter
2 apples – peeled, cored, chopped
2 tablespoons brown sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup milk
¼ teaspoon vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 425. Move oven rack to lower third of the oven
- For crust, combine water, yeast, sugar, salt and oil. Add flour until dough is soft and pulls away from the sides of the bowl. (You may mix by hand or mixer). You may not need to use the full amount of flour. Knead for 2-3 minutes then cover lightly and allow dough to rest while preparing other components.
- For cinnamon streusel topping, stir together brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Add soft butter and mix until mixture is crumbly and butter is distributed.
- For apple mixture, heat butter in 10 or 12 inch skillet until melted. Add chopped apples, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cook, stirring frequently until the apples are tender but not mushy. Mixture should be thick and bubbly, 4-5 minutes.
- Press dough into 16 inch pizza pan. Dough should be ¼ inch thick. Scoop spoonfuls of apple mixture over the dough. This will not cover the dough completely, just spread evenly. Sprinkle streusel mixture over the apples. Let pizza rest for 10 minutes to allow the dough to puff slightly.
- Bake pizza for 12-15 minutes. Edges should be browned and the pizza topping hot and bubbly. Prepare glaze while pizza is baking by heating butter and milk in saucepan until melted. Add vanilla. Add in powdered sugar slowly, whisking until glaze is smooth.
- Let pizza rest for 10 minutes before drizzling glaze on top. Serve pizza warm. Refrigerate leftovers and reheat in microwave.