Pizza con brie e carciofi
is what the Italians call this unusual recipe. You will call it delicious, which it is in every language under the sun. Even though pizza toppings can and often are as creative as the creator, this recipe is still way out of the box by even the most unconventional culinary thinkers.
This pizza is really fine during the colder months of the year. The flavors combine in a wonderful treat for the palette.
The recipe makes two pizzas and requires about 1-1/2 hours prep time and 25 minutes cooking time.
1 pound pizza dough, divided into 2 balls
1/3 pound brie, thinly sliced
some olive oil
the juice of a lemon
1. Fill a bowl with water and add lemon juice.
2. Prepare the artichokes by stripping the petals until you have the heart free of any fuzz.. Trim the stem flat against the base of the artichoke.
3. Dice the stems and cut the hearts into eighths. Place in lemon water to keep it from darkening.
4. When you have finished trimming the artichokes, drain them and sauté for 10 minutes in a skillet, with 1/4 cup of olive oil, a little water, and a pinch of salt.
Tip: Artichoke preparation can blacken your hands if you don't rub your hands with lemon juice, or wear gloves.
5. For each pizza use an 11-inch pizza pan, oil it and spread the dough in it.
6. Let it rest for 30 minutes and bake for 20 minutes in a 400 degree oven.
7. Remove from the oven, spread the artichokes over it, arrange the sliced cheese in a spoke pattern, and bake for another 5 minutes.
Sit back, taste and enjoy!