Valentines is near and we ought to think about how to celebrate it. If you are on a budget and you want to make something special, try this pocket sized pizza in the shape of hearts. This recipe is called the Calzone Hearts and was made by Hungry Happenings.Ingredients:
8 ounces ricotta cheese
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg, plus 1 more whisked together with a bit of water to make an egg wash
pinch of salt
1/2 cup pizza sauce
3 tubes Pillsbury Thin Crust Pizza Dough*
fillings, pepperoni, bacon, sausage, mushrooms, roasted red peppers, artichokes, etc.Directions:
- Stir together ricotta, mozzarella, Parmesan, one egg, and pinch of salt.
- Spray the inside of each heart with non-stick cooking spray. Open and unroll one tube of dough. Cut dough in half. Drape one piece of dough over heart cavity. Gently press the dough into the sides and bottom of the pan.
- Fill with 1 tablespoon pizza sauce and a little over 1/4 cup of the cheese mixture. Add toppings of your choice. Repeat.
- Fold dough over, pinching pieces together, cutting off excess. You want enough dough to just cover and close around the top of each calzone heart.
- Brush egg wash over top.
- If you've filled your hearts with various toppings, it's a good idea to mark them in some way. I just put small pieces of the fillings on top.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake for 18-24 minutes, until golden brown. Mine could have used another minute or two.
- Heat remaining pizza sauce, then spoon into the indentations on the top of each heart. Serve immediately.