The 360 Family Nutrition thinks pizza is a healthy choice especially with this recipe in mind that merges pizza with cauliflower! Children of all ages will love this as it feature sizes that can easily be handled and eaten. Make your own at home with this recipe that creates around 12 to 16 servings. Ingredients:
1 small to medium sized head of cauliflower (should yield 2 to 3 cups once processed), washed and chopped (remove stems)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 - 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese, shredded (I used closer to 1/8 cup)
1/8 - 1/4 cup low fat mozzarella cheese, shredded (I used closer to 1/8 cup)
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons pizza sauce
2 low fat string cheese sticks, cut into 6-8 smaller pieces eachDirections:
1. Preheat over to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray pizza pan (or baking sheet) with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Wash and dry a small head of cauliflower. Cut off the florets (you don't need much stem). Pulse in your food processor for about 30 seconds, until you get rice shaped pieces. Place the cauliflower in a microwave safe bowl and cover. Microwave for 4 minutes. Dump cooked cauliflower onto a clean dish towel and allow to cool.
3. Once cauliflower is cool enough to handle, wrap it up in the dish towel and ring the heck out of it. You want to squeeze out as much water as possible to ensure it will stick together.
4. Add ringed out cauliflower into a large mixing bowl. Add egg, shredded cheese, seasonings, and pizza sauce (may even need to mix with hands).
5. Form "dough" into a ball. Break away portions of the dough (about 2-3 teaspoons) and form bottom portion of a ball, stuff with string cheese piece, and add another 2 teaspoons of dough to complete other side of ball. Roll in hands to form nice ball shape and place on pizza or baking sheet. Repeat with remainder of dough.
6. Once all pizza balls place baking sheet in oven. Bake at 425 degrees about 20 minutes. If balls do not starting browning or get crusty outer shells increase oven temp to 450 degrees and cook another 3-5 minutes (you just want to make sure you get the inside cooked).
7. Optional: can serve with additional pizza sauce