Chelsea's Messy Apron gives us a hawaiian styled pie with a BBQ and Chicago style fusion. Here's a deep dish BBQ Chicken and pineapple pizza from their recipe list. A sweet but savory wild pie that can fill up full a really hungry stomach. Ingredients:
3/4 cup warm water
1 tsp. yeast
1/2 tsp. white sugar
2 cups all-purpose white flour
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. olive oil
3 and 1/2 tbsp. butter + 2 tbsp. (separated)
1 cup mozzarella cheese
1 cup chicken, cooked and shredded
1/2 cup pineapple chunks
1/2 cup BBQ sauce
3 tbsp. brown sugar, lightly packed
2 tbsp. cilantro, optional, chopped
1 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tbsp, honey
1/4 cup pizza sauce
2 and 1/2 tbsp. BBQ sauce
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- In a small bowl, combine the warm water with the yeast and white sugar. Stir and let sit for about 5 minutes. The yeast should dissolve and become foamy. If it doesn’t, your yeast is dead and start again with the process.
- In a large bowl, combine the white flour, cornmeal, and salt. Stir.
- Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in the olive oil and butter until the butter pieces are very small.
- Stir in the yeast and then knead for several minutes.
- Lightly coat the bowl with olive oil and turn the dough over to lightly coat with olive oil.
- Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap that has also been lightly coated with olive oil.
- Let rise for about 50-60 minutes (or until about doubled in size) in a warm environment.
- Roll out the dough into a large rectangle. Spread about 2 tbsp. of room temperature butter over the dough leaving about an inch border along edges.
- Roll dough into tight cylinder. With seam side down, start folding the dough into thirds like business letter with final fold in the center to bring the two halves together
- Return the dough to the oiled bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and let rise in refrigerator for about 40 to 50 minutes or until nearly doubled in size.
- Stir together the shredded chicken, pineapple chunks, BBQ sauce, brown sugar, cilantro, olive oil, and honey in a large skillet over low heat.
- Let simmer for about 5-8 minutes.
- Stir together the pizza sauce and BBQ sauce
- Putting it together
- Position your oven rack to the lowest position.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Using cooking spray, spray your 8 or 9 inch skillet with spray and then coat generously with cornmeal (do not skip this step!)
- Roll out the dough to a circle and place in the skillet. Pinch the edges to make a crust.
- Layer the mozzarella cheese on bottom, the chicken mixture next, and top with the topping mixture.
- Spread mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese on top.
- Cook for about 20-25 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool and set up for about 10-15 minutes before serving