Every cook needs a classic pizza sauce recipe in their repertoire.
Favorite Homemade Pizza Sauce (Source)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic (2 or 3 cloves)
1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon fresh chopped oregano (if using fresh, add at the end of the cooking time)
2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes (undrained) or 2 lbs diced fresh tomatoes
1 teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (this adds a lot of heat, start with ¼ teaspoon or a pinch if you’re unsure)
½ teaspoon kosher salt
Black pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, warm the olive oil.
- Add garlic, cook, stirring for about a minute. If you’re using dried oregano, add that along with the garlic. If you’re using fresh, add it to the sauce at the end of the cooking time.
- Increase the heat to medium. Add the tomatoes, sugar, red pepper flakes, salt and black pepper.
- Leave over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until boiling. Reduce heat to low for a nice simmer.
- Simmer uncovered for 90 minutes.
- Stir in fresh oregano, if using.
- Allow the sauce to cool to a safe temperature then in batches, run through a blender.