A roasted garlic pizza with garlic sauce is a garlic lover’s heaven.
Roasted Garlic White Pizza with Garlic Sauce (Source)
1 cup whole milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
¼ teaspoon plus a pinch salt
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 to 4 heads Roasted Garlic (see below)
2 to 3 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
1 recipe Parmesan Pizza Dough (see below)
8 oz fresh mozzarella
4 oz grated fontina
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Gently heat milk in small saucepan until barely simmering. Remove and keep covered.
- In a different saucepan, melt butter. When foam subsides add flour and stir until smooth. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring. Do not allow flour to color.
- Gradually add warm milk, whisking to combine. Add salt and cayenne. Increase heat to medium. Cook, whisking continuously until the sauce comes to a boil and is thickened.
- Remove from heat and add 10 of the roasted garlic cloves. Pour hot mixture into a blender, cover tightly and process until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl and cool slightly, covering with plastic wrap.
- Place a pizza stone in the oven and preheat to 500 degrees.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of cornmeal on a baker’s peel or baking sheet. Place rolled out pizza dough circle on the prepared sheet.
- Spread the cooled sauce over the dough leaving a ¾ inch border. Place sliced mozzarella on top of the sauce. Sprinkle remaining roasted garlic cloves (whole) over the cheese and top with grated fontina.
- Bake pizza for 8 to 10 minutes or until crust is golden and cheese is melted and bubbly and golden brown in spots. Remove from oven and sprinkle herbs over the top. Serve immediately.
3-4 heads of garlic (upper quarter removed)
4 teaspoons olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 350.
Place garlic on foil lined baking sheet, rub 1 teaspoon of oil into the top of each head. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Place cut side down, on the baking sheet. Bake until the cloves are soft and golden, about 1 hour.
Remove from oven and let sit until cool enough to handle. Remove each clove of garlic from the head. Set aside until needed.
Parmesan Pizza Dough:
1 cup warm water
1 (1/4 oz) envelope dry yeast
1 teaspoon honey
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 ¾ cups unbleached flour
½ cup finely grated Parmesan
Yellow Cornmeal for the baking sheet
In a large bowl, combine water, yeast, honey and 1 tablespoon oil. Stir to combine. Let sit until mixture is foamy, about 5 minutes.
Add 1 ½ cups of the flour and the salt, mixing by hand until it is all incorporated and the mixture is smooth. Continue adding the flour, ¼ cup at a time, working dough after each addition until the dough is smooth but sticky. 3 to 5 minutes.
Oil a large mixing bowl with remaining olive oil. Place the dough in the bowl, turning to coat with the oil. Cover with plastic wrap, set in warm place until double in size, about 1 ½ hours.
Punch down dough and turn onto a lightly flour surface and roll into a 15 inch circle.