Tamale could be sweet, could be savory, could be salty and anything else in between as a tamale from different countries could also be a pizza! But from 24 Carrot Life, a recipe that is adapted from the Mexican culture is the healthy chicken tamale pizza - something worth trying for a cultural experience. Ingredients:
? cup cornmeal
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon oregano
1 large egg, whisked
3 tablespoons water
4 tablespoons refried beans or black bean puree
½ cup chicken, boiled and shredded
shredded or grated cheese (manchego or mozzarella are good options)
pico de gallo
cilantro, to garnishDirections:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a pizza pan or cookie sheet with non stick spray.
- Whisk all dry crust ingredients together in a bowl. Add egg and water and mix until it sticks together (it will not be the consistency of regular pizza dough, but should not be crumbly either). Spread on the cooking sheet keeping it about a ½ inch thick. Spray the top of the crust with non stick spray.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until the edges are light brown.
- While pizza is cooking, toss chicken in enchilada sauce to coat evenly.
- Remove pizza after 15 minutes and use a spatula to make sure the pizza crust is not stuck on the pan. Place the pizza toppings on the pizza (in order listed above). Bake for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 5 minutes. Garnish with pico de gallo and fresh cilantro. Cut into four large slices.
- Nutrition information is for the crust only, as the other nutrition information may vary based on what ingredients you use.