Pizza dough is great with a touch of honey. It adds a little something to the crust without adding an overly sweet flavor.
2 ¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
1 teaspoon honey
1 cup warm water
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Dissolve the yeast and honey in ¼ cup of the warm water in a small bowl. The warm water should be between 100-110 degrees.
- Combine the flour and the salt in a mixer bowl.
- Add the oil, yeast mixture and remaining ¾ cup of warm water. Mix on low speed using a dough hook until the dough comes away from sides cleanly. Approx. 5 minutes.
- If the dough remains sticky, add a bit more flour until it pulls cleanly away from the hook.
- Turn the dough onto a clean surface. Knead by hand for 2 or 3 minutes.
- When the dough is smooth and firm, place in lightly oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap.
- Let dough sit for 30-45 minutes. (Dough should stretch when lightly pulled).
- Divide dough into 2 or 4 balls, depending on what size pizza you intend to make.
- Work each ball, pulling down the sides and tucking under the bottom. Repeat 4 to 5 times.
- Cover dough with damp towel. Let rest 15-20 minutes.
- Dough is now ready to use or wrapped in plastic and refrigerated for up to 2 days.
- When making pizzas, stretch dough onto greased pizza pan, top with sauce and toppings. Bake at 450 degrees for 12-16 minutes. (Smaller pizzas will take less time).
- You may slide the pizza off the pan for the remaining 2 minutes to crisp it up.