The mushrooms make a tasty base for this twist on a traditional pizza.
Margherita Mushroom Pizza (Source)
4 large Portobello mushrooms, stems removed
8 tablespoons marinara sauce
½ cup cherry tomatoes
¼ cup fresh basil leaves
2 cups Mozzarella cheese, shredded
Salt and pepper to taste
- Wipe down the mushroom caps with a damp paper towel to remove any dirt.
- Gently scrape off the gills inside the mushrooms cap with a teaspoon.
- Brush the caps with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Line a baking sheet with foil, arranging the mushrooms on it stem side up.
- Bake at 400F for 10 minutes until they release moisture and get juicy. Drain any excess moisture from the caps.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of marinara sauce into each mushroom.
- Add some cherry tomatoes and basil leaves.
- Top each cap with mozzarella cheese.
- Broil at 425F for 5 minutes or until the cheese starts bubbling.
- Dish and garnish with freshly chopped basil.