How about a healthy crust pizza that is truly a healthy?
Quinoa Crust Pizza (Source)
½ cup quinoa
1 ½ cup water (for cooking the quinoa)
1 large egg
½ tsp mixed dried herbs / Italian seasoning
¼ tsp garlic salt (optional)
¼ cup shredded cheese (Parmesan works well)
4 Tbsp of pizza sauce
Handful of spinach leaves
2-3 pitted green olives
Few slices of bell pepper
Few slices of onion
Handful of chopped cherry tomatoes
¾ cup shredded Mozzarella
- Add quinoa to water, bring to a boil. Cover and cook until all the water is absorbed and quinoa becomes fluffy.
- Add the dried herbs, garlic salt and shredded cheese. Mix well. It will reach an almost dough-like texture.
- Beat the whole egg. Add it in and mix. Now the dough-like quinoa mixture becomes spreadable.
- Take a pan of choice (like a cookie sheet). Line it with parchment paper/foil and spray with cooking oil.
- Take the quinoa mixture in hand and shape it like a ball. Place it on the cookie sheet and spread the quinoa into a shape you like. It almost spreads evenly by itself. Just use your hand to guide it. Make sure that the thickness is consistent.
- Place the pan in a preheated oven for 10-13 minutes at 350F.
- Take it out of the oven. Let it cool for a minute. Spread the pizza sauce on top. Layer the toppings and cheese and bake for another 10 minutes, until the cheese melts and the sides start to turn golden.
- Let it cool for a minute so that the crust holds together.
- Carefully cut into slices and serve.