This dessert pizza recipe is perfect for the warmer months of the year when strawberries are in full bloom and rosemary is, well… rosemary.
If you ever wondered how rosemary got its name, wonder no more. It derives from the Latin word for “dew (ros) and “sea” (marinus). Dew of the sea relates to the fact that in many places where this herb is grown it needs no water other than the humidity carried by the sea breeze to survive.
This pizza can also be prepared on the grill. This option is covered at the end of the recipe.
1 quart strawberries, rinsed and halved or quartered (4 cups)
¼ cup agave nectar
3 cups all-purpose (or whole wheat) flour
¼ cup white splenda (or sugar)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
4-½ teaspoons baking powder
¾ tsp. salt
½ cup cold unsalted butter cut in small pieces
1¾ cups whipping cream
1 egg white, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons brown sugar splenda
Sweetened whipped cream
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In large bowl, combine strawberries and agave. Let stand, but stir occasionally while preparing shortcake.
To make shortcake
1. In a food processor, combine flour, ¼ cup sugar, rosemary, baking powder, and salt; pulse to mix (Or whisk together in large bowl.)
2. Add butter to flour mixture and pulse in food processor several times. Stop wile pulsing and add cream, pulsing until dough begins to form.
3. Turn out dough on a lightly floured surface. Knead quickly. Roll dough to 9x13 inch rectangle (1/2 inch thickness).
4. Transfer dough to large parchment-lined baking sheet.
5. Score dough (cutting not quite through) in 1 ½ -inch squares. Brush with egg white and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sugar.
6. Bake 22 to 26 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Place shortcake and parchment on a wooden board and spoon strawberries over shortcake. Drizzle with juices.
8. Serve in bowls with whipped cream.
Makes 15 (2in-square) servings, plus leftovers.
You can also prepare this recipe on a charcoal grill via indirect cooking if you desire:
1. Place a large skillet in the center of a grill rack and arrange medium-hot coals around perimeter of grill.
2. Prepare shortcakes as directed.
3. Knead dough and then pat into heavily buttered 12-inch cast-iron skillet.
4. Place skillet in center of grill (not over coals).
5. Cover and grill 25 to 30 minutes, until set in center. Remove from grill; let stand 10 minutes.
Cut in wedges. Serve with strawberries and whipped cream.