Italian turkey sausage combined with fresh sweet peppers are a great pairing for pizza toppings.
Sausage & Pepper Pizza (Source)
6 oz hot Italian turkey sausage (casings removed)
1 pt mini sweet peppers
2 whole wheat pizza crusts
1 cup marinara sauce
¾ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
½ cup arugula
2 tsp red wine vinegar
Olive oil spray
- Set grill to medium-high heat.
- Cook sausage (casings removed) in small frying pan over medium-high heat, breaking up clumps with slotted spoon, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Roast peppers on grill until charred and softened, about 4 minutes. Remove. Halve peppers lengthwise and remove seeds.
- Lightly coat 1 side of each pizza crust with olive oil spray.
- Place crusts oil side down on grill and heat until bottoms are golden brown, about 2 minutes. Flip crusts and spread marinara sauce evenly over top.
- Sprinkle pizzas evenly with mozzarella, cooked sausage and roasted peppers.
- Grill until bottoms are golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove.
- Scatter arugula evenly over top of pizzas and drizzle with red wine vinegar.
- Cut each pizza into 4 slices and serve.